Rural development implies both the economic betterment of people as well as greater social transformation. Increased participation of people in the rural development programmes, decentralization of planning, better enforcement of land reforms and greater access to credit are envisaged for providing the rural people with better prospects.
Being the nodal Department for most of the development and welfare activities in the rural areas, the Department of Rural Development plays a vital role in the overall development strategy of the State. The vision and mission of the Department is sustainable and inclusive growth of rural Tripura through a multipronged strategy for eradication of poverty by increasing livelihoods opportunities, providing social safety net and developing infrastructure for growth
Aims of Rural Development in Tripura are:
- Providing livelihood opportunities to those in need, including women and other vulnerable sections with focus on marginalized households.
- Enhancement of livelihood security of households in rural areas by providing at least 100 days of guaranteed wage employment in every financial year to every household demanding employment.
- Connecting all rural habitation with all and upgradation of roads weather existing roads to provide market access.
- Providing basic housing and homestead to all vulnerable household in rural areas.
- Providing social assistance to the elderly, widow and disabled persons.
- Providing urban amenities in rural areas for improvement of quality of rural life.
- Developing skill, Capacity and important development and training of rural development functionaries.
- Promoting involvement of voluntary agencies and individuals for rural development.
- Watershed development for initiating effective land reform measures for providing land to the landless rural poor.